Friday, June 26, 2009

SCREAMING FEMALES F'N KILLED IT DEAD LAST NIGHT OPENING FOR DINOSAUR JR.....


From the NY Press: "As I (quite skillfully) wormed my way through the crowd of a sold-out Music Hall of Williamsburg show, I began to wonder if this was going to be one of those shows where the hungry young opener devours the aging headliner.

Screaming Females' rhythm section, consisting of Jarrett Dougherty and bassist King Mike, laid it down heavy, playing danceable, dare I say funky, garage punk beneath driving octave fuzz riffs. I got to the stage just in time to see the ultra small-framed guitarist/singer Marissa Paternoster, rip a volcanic whammy pedal solo, one of many in an amazing set of what I can only describe as a 21st century freak-out. I almost think it's too easy to compare her at first glance, to other skillful female musicians: Carrie Brownstein and Karen O immediately came to mind, but perhaps is too limiting a statement to make. I heard Hendrix, Prince and, inevitably, some J Mascis in there too. "

From WisdomToof:

6/26/2009

ON SCREAMALES & ROCK RELEVANCE, ETC

(clearly a g-chat conversation between Ali & myself)

me: omg, i wish you could have seen screaming females last night it was SO EPIC.

me: like, so, so so epic

Ali: oh yeaaah

me: they play with these tiny amps but because it was in that place it was all mic'd up and they sounded so fucking heavy

me: it was like the perfect sound for them

me: best i've ever heard them

me: and the applause was insane i was like, holy shit, if people didn't like them before...

me: it was straight up insanity

Ali: that is awesome, how was dinosaur jr?

me: they were good, but seriously it was like, such a hard act to follow!

No comments: